In every trade, there is a requirement of specific knowledge to gain expertise and proficiency. Accountancy is a profession that requires advanced education, proper training, and certification from a university or college. To become a practitioner of accountancy you have to access your skills and capabilities. You have to analyze yourself whether you are fit for this trade or not. Do you need an only a college degree or you want to earn a master’s degree? Moreover your decision that you want to be a part of a corporate firm or a private practitioner. You can choose Maryville’s online bachelors in accounting. Let’s discuss a few steps: –
Steps to becoming an accountant
- Obtain a degree from a good college: Attending a college and acquiring a bachelor’s degree is not the only thing you need to become a CPA. This is the basic requirement to reach on an advanced level. You have to complete a total of 150 credit hours in the fields related to accounting. Few States even require advanced courses along with standard bachelor’s degree. These subjects are Financial reporting, auditing, taxes and other non-accounting subjects related to business.
- Specialism in an area: There are basically two areas of accounting, one is public accounting and the other is a corporate Further, there are several sub-expertize in areas like environmental accounting, managerial accounting, and taxes, internal auditing. These specific fields of accounting depending on the degree you obtain.
- Opt for CPA or Accountant: Certified Public Accountants requires more education than an accountant and obviously have more career opportunities. The accountants perform the basic function in the accounting department of business but do not possess the other qualifications required to become CPA such as conduct audits, review statements and represent clients before the IRS.
- If you opt for to be a CPA you need to land for the Exam for CPA and you need to pass this exam in all the four parts. These four parts are
- Audit and Attestation,
- Financial accounting and reporting,
- Business environment and concepts